In recognition of its pioneering role in the study of Anatolia, ANAMED collaborates with prestigious institutions to offer a limited number of joint fellowships for PhD students as well as Post-Doctoral and Senior scholars. Applicants should review the scope and requirements of each joint fellowship carefully to ensure they qualify before preparing and submitting applications.
Questions concerning the fellowship and application process should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications focusing on the archaeology, art history, heritage, and history of Anatolia from the Neolithic through the Ottoman eras are welcome from scholars of these and allied disciplines, including those that focus on the management, conservation, and presentation of the past.
- PhD candidates who have completed the doctoral qualification stage and post-doctoral and senior scholars in relevant fields can apply for fellowships.
- An applicant who has completed or expects to complete her/his PhD (including the defense, viva voce, and/or final public examination) before the fellowship term begins should apply for a Post-Doctoral Fellowship. In cases where the PhD degree is granted after the application has been submitted but before the fellowship term begins, the applicant is required to submit a copy of the doctoral diploma (and/or final transcript) to the Fellowship Coordinator before the fellowship term begins. If the applicant fails to complete the PhD before the fellowship term begins, the Post-Doctoral Fellowship will be cancelled.
- An applicant who has applied for and is awarded a PhD Fellowship and who successfully completes her/his PhD during the ANAMED fellowship year will be allowed to complete the full term of the fellowship but will not be eligible for an upgrade to a Post-Doctoral Fellowship.
- Koç University PhD students are not eligible for ANAMED PhD Fellowships. Graduates of Koç University PhD programs, however, may apply for Post-Doctoral and/or Senior Fellowships.
- Applicants may not apply for both Regular/Joint Fellowships and Short-Term Fellowships in the same year.
- Applicants who will apply for İAE – ANAMED Joint Fellowship must not have received İAE fellowship in the last five years.
- Applications from scholars of all nationalities are encouraged, yet fellows must be proficient in English, the language of instruction at Koç University.
- Before applying please refer to ANAMED’s Frequently Asked Questions concerning the application process.
- All applicants should complete the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM.
- Owing to the functionality of the online form, the application must be completed and submitted in one session without closing the browser window. We recommend, therefore, that application information be gathered and prepared in a different document or place first and then entered into the form and submitted in one session. For a list of information required by in the application form, click here…
- Regular and Joint Fellowships are available for the 9-month academic year. PhD Fellowships are full 9-month fellowships, while Post-Doctoral and Senior Fellowships can be limited to either 9-month or 4.5 month terms (fall or spring semesters).
- PhD candidates cannot apply for a half-term fellowship.
- Fellowship cannot commence outside of mid September-June dates.
- Applicants who apply for a Joint Fellowship and who would like to be considered for a Regular Fellowship also should indicate this by selecting the appropriate checkbox in the Joint Fellowship application form. In such cases, the primary application should always be submitted to the Joint Fellowship.
- Applicants who apply for a Joint fellowship will also be considered for the Regular fellowships during the evaluation. Those candidates do not need to submit a second application for regular fellowships. The primary application should always be for Joint fellowship.
- Non-residential fellowships are reserved for those precluded from staying at ANAMED for personal reasons (including those already resident in Istanbul). Housing support is unfortunately unavailable for fellows who desire to reside outside ANAMED.
- Residential and Non-Residential fellowship statuses cannot be changed after fellowships are granted.
- For applicants who apply as residential and wish to stay at ANAMED Building together with their family should note that, residential apartments are 1+0 with one double bed and are not suitable for more than two people.
- PhD Fellowship applicants should upload their graduate school transcript(s). If a university does not have transcripts, the applicant should upload an official letter from the university or advisor indicating her/his status as a registered PhD student there.
- Please do not upload irrelevant pdf’s other than the relevant document where you asked to upload a certain document. For example, if you upload a CV where you are expected to upload your transcript, the system will not recognize your document and your application will be invalid.
- Two recommendation letters are required for applicants for PhD and Post-Doctoral Fellowships. Only one recommendation letter is required for applicants for Senior Fellowships. (Please check PhD, Post-Doc, and Senior definitions in below this page)
- IMPORTANT! Application system does not send the recommendation letter requests to the listed recommenders. Applicants are responsible to contact with the recommenders and make sure to letters been sent to email@example.com directly by the recommenders.
- ANAMED can not confirm whether your letters were received before the application system closed (18 December). Please check first with your recommenders.
- Recommendation letters should be submitted at the latest by 18 DECEMBER. Letters sent after this date will not be considered.
- Applicants are responsible to contact with the recommenders and make sure to letters been sent to firstname.lastname@example.org directly by the recommenders.
- Recommendation letters should comment directly on the proposed fellowship project and the ability of the applicant to undertake it. For this reason, ANAMED recommends that applicants share project proposals with recommenders in advance.
- One of the two recommendation letters required for PhD Fellowship applicants must come from the applicant’s PhD thesis advisor and should comment directly on the status of the thesis and the applicant’s proposed schedule of completion.
- Applicants are responsible for the completeness and accuracy of all application information. ANAMED reserves the right to withhold applications from full review owing to incompleteness and/or inaccuracy.
- Regular/Joint Fellowships cannot be converted into Short-Term Fellowships and vice versa.
- Unsuccessful applicants and applicants who decline Regular/Joint Fellowship offers can reapply the following year but should provide an appropriately updated application, including updated recommendation letters.
- Unsuccessful applicants who have not been awarded fellowships two years in a row should wait five years before applying again.
- Former holders of Regular/Joint/Short-term Fellowships can re-apply for a fellowship after five years have passed since their previous fellowship year. For example, if an applicant applied in December 2016 and held a 2017–2018 academic year fellowship, that applicant is ineligible to apply again before December 2022 for a 2023–2024 academic year fellowship.
- If a fellow decline to take up a previously accepted fellowship offer at any time after the close of the fellowship review cycle, the fellowship will be considered as having been granted for the purposes of determining eligibility for future fellowships. In such cases, conditions for re-applying mentioned herein apply.
- Scholars who have held two ANAMED fellowships are ineligible to apply again.
- A monthly stipend calculated by Koç University each year to cover most local expenses not covered by the fellowship
- Accommodation at ANAMED’s residential facility in the center of Beyoğlu, Istanbul
Residential facilities consist of studio apartments that can accommodate a spouse/partner if necessary.
Each apartment has a private bathroom, cold-kitchen area with mini-refrigerator, and apartment-specific heating, cooling, and ventilation system, and is furnished with a bed, closet, desk, chair, telephone, and TV. ANAMED custodial staff provide apartment cleaning services at no extra charge twice a week, including a change of sheets and towels. Laundry facilities for personal use are available within the residential complex. ANAMED terraces have plentiful seating, lighting, and fine views of the Golden Horn and Sea of Marmara. In addition to the apartment, each fellow is assigned a study carrel in a study room accessible from within the facility, reserved for fellows, and open 24/7. During office hours, tea, coffee, and water are available outside the study room.
- Five meals per week
ANAMED provides fellows five meals per week. These include two in-house dinners a week during the academic year (excepting national and university holidays) and a meal card for three meals a week at rates set by Koç University.
- Transportation to and from Türkiye
One lowest-possible cost, economy class, round-trip airfare will be reimbursed upon the beginning of the fellowship based on a region of origin.
- A modest research budget
Expenses may include books, research materials, research-related travel expenses within Türkiye, and/or travel expenses for the presentation of papers at academic conferences during the period of the fellow’s appointment.
- Health insurance
Currently, available health insurance plans cover general in-patient and limited outpatient treatments, including medicines and advanced diagnostic methods.
- Residence permit
Application for the official residence permit required for foreign fellows to spend nine months in Türkiye will be facilitated by ANAMED in collaboration with Koç University’s International Community Office. All associated costs are included in the fellowship.
- Full access to the ANAMED Library, its library services, affiliates (via BiblioPera), and online resources
Access includes borrowing privileges from the main campus library and inter-library loan within the network of participating institutions in Türkiye. In addition, residential fellows can use library spaces 24/7.
- Full access to lectures, symposia, and other activities at ANAMED and on the main Koç University campus
ANAMED and Koç University organize and host a variety of scholarly activities and exhibits throughout the year, most of which are open to the public. ANAMED fellows have additional opportunities to interact with colleagues sharing interests in Anatolian civilizations at weekly “Wednesday Teas,” which sometimes feature short academic talks and always feature good conversation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- PhD Fellowships are for advanced PhD students who have completed all coursework and examinations and are working on their dissertations.
- Post-Doc Fellowships are for scholars with PhD degrees granted after 15 September 2019. Applicants must possess the PhD degree by the time the fellowship period commences.
- Senior Fellowships are for scholars with PhD degrees granted on or before 15 September 2019.
- Yes, collaboration is preferred but not required for short-term fellowships.
- ANAMED fellowships are open to all nationalities.
- Recommendation letters for all fellowship types should be sent directly to email@example.com by the deadline.
- We have to allocate our resources according to the number of residential and non-residential fellows admitted each year. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate any request to change the residential preference stated in your application.
Yes, we just need the information for the contact person, who will be in charge of application process and responsible for the communication with ANAMED.
Yes, collaboration is preferred but not required for Short-Term fellowships.
Unfortunately, Short-Term fellowships are only open to applicants residing outside of Istanbul. Requests for non-residential Short-Term Fellowships will be denied.
Without accommodation is not an option for Short-Term fellowships.
Short-Term Fellowship terms are configured on a two-week basis and should always begin on the 1st or 15th of a month. They are limited to between one and four two-week periods and thus can run between a term of two weeks to two months.
Since the evaluation periods are different for those fellowships, they cannot be applied within the same year.