About the Program
The program will explore ways of contextualizing the rich artistic and cultural heritage of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Cappadocia. Within its breathtaking volcanic landscape, Cappadocia preserves extensive rock-cut features from the Byzantine period, including more than a thousand rock-cut churches and chapels (one-third of which preserve significant elements of their painted decoration), as well as monasteries, houses, villages, towns, cemeteries, and fortresses. The region is unrivaled in terms of its material culture, but because it lacks a written history, the monuments of Cappadocia remain poorly known to most Byzantinists. (see: Program Schedule).
The program is open to students enrolled in MA and Ph.D. programs. (see: Requirements)
Date: June 18th-July 3rd 2018
- All course materials will be provided electronically.
Certificates and transcripts
- ANAMED issues certificates to all students who successfully complete the program. If you need an officially issued transcript, please be in touch in a timely manner with the coordinators.
- Participants will be housed in shared double rooms, with all breakfasts, dinners, and most lunches provided. Wireless internet service is gratis. A seminar room with a small research library, with basic books and pdf files of readings, will be available for use at all hours.
Cappadocia Estates in Sinasos (Mustafapaşa), Davutlu Mahallesi, Şahin Bey Cad. Vezir Sokak No:12, Mustafapaşa, Ürgüp 50420
- Participants must arrange their own transportation to/from Cappadocia. Ground transportation to Mustafapaşa is available from the Nevşehir and Kayseri airports but should be reserved in advance. Daily transportation to and from site visits is provided. Regular public minibus service connects Mustafapaşa and Ürgüp.
- Airfare and visa arrangements and expenses are each participant’s own responsibility.
- $2000 USD. The tuition includes local transportation, admission fees and guiding expenses.
- Scholarships will be given based on need and merit. (In order to be considered for the scholarship, you can indicate your wish by adding an additional paragraph to your Statement of Purpose.)